In news– Recently, the Indian Prime Minister visited the Defence Industrial Corridor in Uttar Pradesh.
- Finance Minister in the budget speech (2018-19) had announced setting up of two Defence Industrial Corridors in the country.
- In pursuance of the said announcement, it was decided to set up one of these Corridors in Uttar Pradesh and another in Tamil Nadu.
About Defence Industrial Corridor, UP
- Uttar Pradesh Defence Industrial Corridor (UP DIC) is an aspirational project that intends to reduce foreign dependence on the Indian Aerospace & Defence Sector.
- It was launched by the PM in 2018.
- This Corridor aims to bring up the state as one of the largest & advanced Defence manufacturing hubs and put it on the world map.
- Planned across 6 nodes namely – Lucknow, Kanpur, Jhansi, Agra Aligarh, Chitrakoot, which spreads across Central, East, West region of Uttar Pradesh and along the Golden Quadrilateral connecting Delhi – Kolkata supported by networks of expressways.
- The defence corridor would come up in Bundelkhand region and is expected to generate more than one lakh jobs.
- The Uttar Pradesh Expressways Industrial Development Authority (UPEIDA) is the nodal agency for the defence corridor project.
The setting up of the Defence Corridor will facilitate the development of internationally competitive enterprises to manufacture and maintain all major defence ecosystem and platforms within the country in order to become strategically independent in defence manufacturing.
Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor(TIDCO)
- TIDCO comprising Chennai, Tiruchirappalli, Coimbatore, Salem and Hosur was announced by the Government of India.
- This corridor will create new defence production facilities and promote clusters with necessary testing and certification facilities, export facilitation centres, technology transfer facilitation, etc.
- The corridor was inaugurated on 20.01.2019.
- TIDCO has signed MoUs with IIT-Madras and DRDO as Knowledge Partners for the project.
- IIT-Madras acts as a Knowledge Partner for setting up common testing facilities, common infrastructure, common certification centres, and training facilities.
DRDO acts as Knowledge Partner for sharing of ideas, resources and expertise for the development of the Defence Corridor.