With a new Act passed for the Differently Abled Group i.e., Persons with Disabilities Act, 2017 replacing the older Act and the above Autism Bill being in news, this vulnerable section becomes important for exam.
Parliament passes the National Trust for Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities (Amendment) Bill, 2018
Placing it in syllabus
Mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
- Disability as a social problem
- Various provisions by the Government for the Differently abled
- The National Trust for Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities Act 1999
- Amendments to Autism Act
Provisions of the bill/ changes made in new bill
- Tenure of the Board: Under the Multiple Disabilities Act, 1999, the Chairperson and members of the Board of the National Trust can hold office for a term of three years from the date of their appointment or until their successors are appointed, whichever is longer. The Bill amends this provision to fix the tenure of the Chairperson and members of the Board to three years.
- Further, the Bill states that the central government will initiate the process for appointment of the Chairperson or any member of the Board, at least six months prior to the expiry of his tenure.
- Resignation of Chairperson: The Act states that if the Chairperson or members of the Board resign, they will continue in office until the appointment of their successor is made by the central government. The Bill amends this to allow the Chairperson or members of the Board to hold office till their resignation is accepted by the central government.
- Parliament passed the Bill to streamline the appointment and resignation of members of a trust which helps persons with disability to live independently.
- The bill allows setting up of a national trust to enable persons with disability to live independently by promoting measures for their protection in case of death of their parents.
- It also evolves procedures for appointment of their guardians and trustees, and facilitating equal opportunities in society.
What are multiple disabilities/ Autism?
- Autism, a lifelong neurological condition and one which occurs in the first few years of a person’s life, is a developmental disorder. It is manifest largely in three aspects, which are: Communication, social interactions, and imagination. The three are often referred to as the triad of impairments.
- Autism, or autism spectrum disorder (ASD), refers to a broad range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech and nonverbal communication.
- “Cerebral Palsy means a group of non-progressive condition of a person characterized by abnormal motor control posture resulting from brain insult or injuries occurring in the pre-natal, infant period of development.
- A combination of genetic and environmental factors influences the development of autism. The disorder often is accompanied by medical issues such as gastrointestinal (GI) disorders, seizures and sleep disturbances.
- “Severe Disability means disability with eighty percent or more of one or more multiple disabilities.
- According to an estimate, autism affects 1 in 59 children. Many people suffering from autism also have sensory issues. These sensory issued can include aversions to certain sights, sounds and other sensations.
Objectives of the Trust :
The objectives of the National Trust are:
- To enable and empower persons with disability (persons covered by the National Trust) to live as independently and as fully as possible within and as close to the community to which they belong.
- To strengthen facilities to provide support to persons with disabilities to live within their own families and to help persons with disabilities who have no family support.
- To extend support to registered organizations’ that provide need-based services to family of persons with disabilities.
- To promote measures of care for persons with disabilities in the event of a death of their parent or guardian.
- To evolve procedure for the appointment of guardians and trustees for persons with disability requiring protection.
- To facilitate the realization of equal opportunities, protection of right, and full participation of persons with disability.
- To do any other act which is incidental to the objectives mentioned above.
Test Yourself : Mould your thoughts
Disability is a social problem . Critically examine the statement and also discuss how effective can strengthened laws and institutions be on addressing the issues of the group.
Consider the following statements about amendments under The National Welfare Trust for Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities (Amendment) Bill, 2018
- It seeks to fix the tenure of Chairperson and the members of the National Trust for a term of 1 Year
- The current government under it will initiate the process of appointments of Chairperson or any member, at least 3 months prior to the expiry of his tenure
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
c) Both 1 and 2
d) Neither 1 nor 2