The Nandankanan Zoological Park (NZP) in Bhubaneswar, which suffered a huge loss due to covid 19 has revived its innovative ‘Adopt-An-Animal’ programme to mobilise resources for animals
What is ‘Adopt-An-Animal’ programme?
- The “Adopt an Animal” program would support the Zoo’s world-class care and services for all inhabitants by providing quality food to meet their nutritional requirements, medical care, equipment, up-gradation of the enclosure and enrichments.
- The adopter (Zoo Parent) would pay the amount fixed for each species he would like to adopt. No adopters would be allowed to take the animal home.
- All the adopted animals would remain in the care and custody of the Zoo, and no ownership rights would be conferred.
- Apart from individuals, the Adopt-an-Animal scheme is also open to corporate bodies, clubs, NGOs and academic institutions.
- The zoo authorities came up with the scheme urging animal lovers to provide funds from ₹500 to ₹2.5 lakh.
- In lieu, a ‘Thank You’ in the form of an adoption certificate, a plaque in the zoo and income tax rebates are available to individuals and organizations.
Significance of the programme
- This programme assumes significance on two counts, first of course, it harnesses public involvement and support; and more importantly, it helps in garnering affirmative action, especially for endangered species, by educating the public and ensuring their help.
About the Nandankanan Zoological Park
- Nandankanan is 15 kms from Odisha’s capital, Bhubaneswar.
- Unlike other zoos in the country, Nandankanan is built right inside the forest and set in a completely natural environment.
- The animals are housed in enclosures with greenery with a feel of the real forest and live with no fear or apprehension of becoming the hunter’s prey.
- Nandankanan is the first zoo in the World to breed White tiger and Melanistic tiger.
- Nandankanan is the only conservation breeding centre of Indian Pangolins in the world.
- Nandankanan is the only zoological park in India to become an institutional member of the World Association of Zoos and Aquarium (WAZA).
- Nandankanan is the only zoo in India after which an express train Puri-New Delhi express has been named as “Nandankanan Express”.
- Nandankanan is the first zoo in India where endangered Ratel was born in captivity.
- Nandankanan is the only zoo in India to have an Open-top Leopard Enclosure.
- Nandankanan is the second largest heronry for Open Billied Storks in Odisha.