In news– The Investor Education and Protection Fund Authority (IEPFA) and the National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) organised a seminar on the occasion of the 6th Foundation Day of IEPFA recently.
- The IEPFA was set up on September 7, 2016, under the aegis of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India.
- It administers the Investor Education and Protection Fund for making refunds of shares, unclaimed dividends, and matured deposits/debentures, among other things, to investors.
The fund is used for-
- The refund in respect of unclaimed dividends, matured deposits, matured debentures, the application money due for refund and interest thereon.
- Promotion of investors’ education, awareness and protection.
- Distribution of any disgorged amount among eligible and identifiable applicants for shares or debentures, shareholders, debenture-holders or depositors who have suffered losses due to wrong actions by any person, in accordance with the orders made by the Court which had ordered disgorgement.
- NCAER is India’s oldest and largest independent economic think tank, set up in 1956 to inform policy choices for both the public and private sectors.
- It is one of a few independent think tanks world-wide that combines rigorous economic analysis and policy outreach with deep data collection capabilities, particularly for large-scale household surveys.
- NCAER is led by its Director General, Dr Poonam Gupta, the institution’s first woman head, who assumed office on 1 July 2021, and it is governed by an independent Governing Body currently chaired by Mr Nandan M. Nilekani.