INTACH has been involved in various conservation measures, for instance involved in taking conservation measures in West Bengal after it was hit by super cyclone Amphan
What is it?
- INTACH is a non-profit charitable organization registered under the Societies’ Registration Act, 1860.
- INTACH was founded in 1984 in New Delhi with the vision to create a member organization to stimulate and spearhead heritage awareness and conservation in India.
- Since 1984, INTACH has pioneered the conservation and protection of India’s natural and cultural heritage and is today the largest member organization in the country dedicated to conservation.
- The role of INTACH is to institutionalize the conservation of the unprotected architectural heritage all over India. It should accomplish this objective by establishing Local Chapters.
- Among the tasks undertaken by INTACH are restoration of monuments and their management; advocacy for heritage property conservation; public awareness through heritage walks and buses; establishment of heritage clubs in schools; and holding of awareness workshop for teachers of schools and colleges and heritage walks to various unprotected sites.
- It operates through various divisions such as Architectural Heritage, Natural Heritage, Material Heritage, Intangible Cultural Heritage, Heritage Education and Communication Services (HECS), Crafts and Community Cell, Chapters, INTACH Heritage Academy, Heritage Tourism, Listing Cell and Library, Archives and Documentation Centre.