Source: PIB & FEMB
Chief Election Commissioner of India, Shri Sunil Arora assumed the Chairmanship of The Forum of the Election Management Bodies (EMBs) of South Asia (FEMBoSA) for the year 2020.
The objectives of the Forum are:
- To promote contact among the EMBs of the SAARC countries
- Share experiences with a view to learning from each other and
- Cooperate with one another in enhancing the capabilities of the EMBs towards conducting free and fair elections.
- Forum of Election Management Bodies of South Asia(FEMBoSA) is a regional establishment to increase mutual cooperation with respect to the common interests of the SAARC’s EMBs.
- In 2010 for the first time, Bangladesh Election Commission organized a regional meeting titled ‘Meeting on Cooperation of Election Commissions in the South Asia Region’, which was later called Forum of Election Management Bodies of South Asia(FEMBoSA) as an institutionalized form. After the meeting in 2012, the forum chartered was approved.
- 8 members are EMBs from Afghanistan, India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka
- With its eight members, FEMBoSA represents a very large part of the democratic world and is an active regional association of EMBs.
- Annual FEMBoSA meeting is held by rotation among the members.
- The last (9th) annual meeting of FEMBoSA was held in Dhaka in September 2018.