In news– Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has launched the Eleventh Agricultural Census (2021-22) recently.
The Agricultural Census in India-
- Agricultural Census is the main source of information on a variety of agricultural parameters at a relatively minute level, such as the number and area of operational holdings, their size, class-wise distribution, land use, tenancy and cropping pattern, etc.
- The Census provides basis for development of a comprehensive integrated national system of agricultural statistics.
- Agriculture Census is conducted every 5 years.
- Recognizing importance of agriculture sector in the economy, the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation & Farmers Welfare is implementing Agriculture Census Scheme since 1970-71.
- Agriculture Census in India has been Conducting following broad guidelines of decennial World Census of Agriculture (WCA) evolved by Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of United Nations conducted at an interval of five years.
- In Agriculture Census, operational holding has been taken as statistical unit at micro-level for data collection as operational holding is the ultimate unit for taking agriculture-related decisions.
- Agriculture Census Scheme was converted from a Centrally-Sponsored Scheme to a Central Sector Plan Scheme in 2007-08.
About Eleventh Agricultural Census (2021-22)-
- The field work of agricultural census will start in August 2022.
- This is the first time that data collection for agricultural census will be conducted on smart phones and tablets, so that data is available in time.
- Most of the States have digitized their land records and surveys, which will further accelerate the collection of agricultural census data.
- The use of digitized land records and the use of mobile apps for data collection will enable the creation of a database of operational holdings in the country.
- It includes complete enumeration of all villages in states with non-land records during Phase-I as done in states having land records, and real time monitoring of progress and processing.