What is CCTNS?
- CCTNS is a Mission Mode Project under the National e-Governance Plan (NeGP) of Govt. of India. CCTNS aims at creating a comprehensive and integrated system for enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of policing through adopting the principle of e-Governance and creation of a nationwide networking infrastructure for the evolution of IT-enabled-state-of-the-art tracking systems around ‘Investigation of crime and detection of criminals‘.
- Make the Police functioning citizen friendly and more transparent by automating the functioning of Police Stations.
- Provide the Investigating Officers of the Civil Police with tools, technology and information to facilitate investigation of crime and detection of criminals.
- Facilitate Interaction and sharing of Information among Police Stations, Districts, State/UT headquarters and other Police Agencies.
- Keep track of the progress of Cases, including in Courts.
Functions of CCTNS
- CCTNS would be implemented in a way where the States and UTs play a major role. CCTNS would be implemented in alignment with the NeGP principle of “centralized planning and decentralized implementation“. MHA and NCRB would play a key role in planning the program in collaboration with the Police leadership within States, in the development of a few core components and in monitoring and reviewing the program. It is, however, the States and UTs that would drive the planning and implementation at the State level.