Recently, the Union Health Minister said the government is repurposing the electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network (eVIN) platform as COVIN network to ensure last-mile delivery of Covid vaccine.
- As per the minister, the entire eVIN platform is being repurposed as COVIN Network.
- He also said that all movement of stock can be digitally tracked, and those receiving vaccines can also be traced after two to three weeks if the vaccine requires two shots
What is eVIN platform?
- eVIN (Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network) is an indigenously developed technology system in India that digitizes vaccine stocks and monitors the temperature of the cold chain through a smartphone application.
- eVIN is presently being implemented across twelve states in India.
- eVIN aims to support the Government of India’s Universal Immunization Programme by providing real-time information on vaccine stocks and flows, and storage temperatures across all cold chain points in these states.
- It also aims to strengthen the evidence base for improved policy-making in vaccine delivery, procurement and planning for new antigens in India.
- eVIN provides an integrated solution to address widespread inequities in vaccine coverage by supporting state governments in overcoming constraints of infrastructure, monitoring and management information systems and human resources, often resulting in overstocking and stock-outs of vaccines in storage centres.
- It is implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in partnership with the Government of India.