Why in news?
Data from the Copernicus Sentinel 3 project with regard to wildfires have been documented and put forward.
What is this programme?
- Copernicus is basically an Earth observation programme.
- This seeks to provide accurate, timely and usable data for improving environmental management, recognizing and mitigating the impact of climate change and maintaining civil safety
- Copernicus is the new name for the Global Monitoring for Environment and Security programme, previously known as GMES.
- This initiative is headed by the European Commission (EC) in partnership with the European Space Agency (ESA).
- ESA is developing a new family of satellites, called Sentinels, specifically for the operational needs of the Copernicus programme. The Sentinels will provide a specific set of observations, beginning with the radar images of all-weather, day and night.
- Monitoring wildfires as part of earth observation is absolutely vital as it leads to several issues such as emissions and others.