Source: PRS India
The Constitution (One Hundred and Twenty Sixth Amendment) Bill, 2019 was passed by Parliament.
- The Bill amends provisions related to reservation of seats for Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs).
- The Constitution provides for reservation of seats for SCs and STs and representation of the Anglo-Indian community by nomination, in Lok Sabha and Legislative Assemblies of the states.
- This has been provided for a period of 70 years since the enactment of the Constitution and will expire on January 25, 2020.
- The Bill seeks to extend the reservation for SCs and STs by another 10 years till January 25, 2030.
- The provision of seats by nomination for Anglo-Indians in Lok Sabha and State Assemblies has not been extended.