Source: PIB & Asia Regional Integration Center
India recently joined as a development partner of the ACMECS
Objectives of ACMECS
- To increase competitiveness and generate greater growth along the borders.
- To facilitate the relocation of agricultural and manufacturing industries to areas with comparative advantage.
- To create employment opportunities and reduce income disparity among the four countries.
- To enhance peace, stability and shared prosperity for all in a sustainable manner.
- ACMECS is a cooperation framework among Cambodia, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Myanmar, Thailand, and Viet Nam to utilize member countries’ diverse strengths and to promote balanced development in the subregion.
- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra of Thailand initiated the establishment of this cooperation framework in April 2003.
- The areas of cooperation include, among others, transport, and trade and investment facilitation.