In news- The 72nd Territorial Army Raising Day was celebrated on 9th October.
About Territorial Army (TA)-
- ‘Savdhani Va Shoorta’ (Vigilance and Valour) is the motto of the Territorial Army of India.
- It is not a profession, occupation or a source of employment.
- It is only meant for those people who are already in mainstay civilian professions, that is, gainful employment or self-employment in a civil profession is a prerequisite for joining the TA.
- The Indian Defence Force (IDF), incorporating Europeans and Indians in separate sections, was formed by the British on 9 October 1917 in order to release regular troops from garrison duties during the First World War.
- The IDF was replaced by the Auxiliary Force (for Europeans and Eurasians) and the Indian Territorial Force (for Indians) in 1920.
- The modern Territorial Army was inaugurated by the first Indian Governor-General of India, C. Rajagopalachari, on 9 October 1949 after the Independence Territorial Army Act was passed in 1948.
- The TA initially had various types of units such as armoured regiments, infantry battalions, air defence, medical regiments, engineers, field park companies, signal regiments, Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (EME) workshops, coast batteries, Army Service Corps GT Coy etc…
- By 1972, these units were either disbanded or converted to Regular Army units with the exception of infantry battalions.
- The TA is a part of the regular Indian Army.
- Its present role is to relieve the Regular Army from static duties and assist civil administration in dealing with natural calamities and maintenance of essential services in situations where life of the communities is affected or the security of the country is threatened.
- It also provides units for the Regular Army as and when required.
Famous personalities who are commissioned in TA-
- Sachin Pilot, former Deputy Chief Minister of Rajasthan, became the first Union Minister of India to be commissioned as an officer in the TA on 6 September 2012.
- Anurag Thakur, MP from Hamirpur
- Dr. Deepak Rao, a military trainer, scientist, author, and physician
- Kapil Dev
- Mohanlal joined the Territorial Army as an honorary lieutenant colonel on 9 July 2009 and is the first and only actor to have been conferred this title.
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Abhinav Bindra were both conferred the rank of honorary lieutenant colonel on 1 November 2011 for their respective contributions in the fields of cricket and shooting.