In news– The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India has recently announced the National Adventure Awards called “Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award” (TNNAA) for the year 2021.
About the award-
- Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Awards are given every year to recognize the achievements of persons in the fields of adventure, to encourage young people to develop the spirit of endurance, risk–taking, cooperative teamwork and quick, ready and effective reflexes in challenging situations and to provide incentive to the young people for getting exposed to the adventure activities.
- The award is given in four categories namely, Land Adventure, Water Adventure, Air Adventure and Life Time Achievement.
- In 2022, the National Selection Committee was constituted under the chairmanship of Secretary (Youth Affairs).
- The awardees will receive their awards from the President of India along with other Sports Awardees at the Rashtrapati Bhawan on 30th November, 2022.
- They will receive statuettes, certificates and award money of Rs. 15 lakh each.
Who is Tenzing Norgay?
Tenzing Norgay, born Namgyal Wangdi, and also referred to as Sherpa Tenzing, was a Nepali-Indian Sherpa mountaineer. He was one of the first two people known to reach the summit of Mount Everest, which he accomplished with Edmund Hillary on 29 May 1953.