In news- The Tejaswini initiative, launched to curb crimes against women in Delhi, has yielded very good results according to police officials.
About the initiative-
- This initiative was named as “TEJASWINI: Women Centric Safety & Empowerment Initiative’ of North-West District”.
- It was launched on July 10, 2021.
- 46 Women Beat Constables were deployed in the crime-infested and sensitive beat areas of various police stations.
- It aimed to reach out to women belonging to all strata of society and female senior citizens and also to safeguard the rights and dignity of women and children in North-West District.
- It arrived to create such a conducive atmosphere where the women feel at home while interacting with these women constables & share their issues and concerns.
- A number of meetings, interactions and open house sessions with women and women constables were held after three months on implementing the initiative, to monitor ground realities.
- The pivotal purpose of this exercise or project is to sensitize the women and girls of all age groups and their guardians/ parents about the trends of various crimes against women such as molestation, rape, sexual assault, domestic violence, child abuse, harassment for dowry demand etc…
- It aimed to empower them to tackle the adverse and unwanted situations by themselves and make them aware how to obtain legal help also.
- At least 243 senior citizens and women were helped while 13 self-defence camps were organised for school and college girls.
- The percentage of street PCR calls declined by 23 percent while there was a 31 percent decrease in women-related PCR calls.