In news– Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDL) has launched the third Stealth Frigate of Project 17A ‘TARAGIRI’ recently.
- ‘Taragiri’, named after a hill range in Himalayas located at Garhwal, is the fifth ship of Project 17A Frigates.
- These ships are advanced version of the P17 Frigates (Shivalik Class) with improved stealth features, state of the art weapons and sensors and platform management systems.
- ‘Taragiri’ is the reincarnation of erstwhile ‘Taragiri’, the Leander Class ASW Frigate, which saw numerous challenging operations in its illustrious service to the nation spanning over three decades from 16 May 1980 to 27 Jun 2013.
- Under the P17A program, a total of seven ships are under construction.
- Four P17A Project ships (two each Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd (GRSE) & MDL) have been launched so far between 2019 and 2022.
- P17A ships have been designed in-house by Indian Navy’s Warship Design Bureau which is the pioneer organization for all warship design activities of the Nation.
- 75% of the orders for equipment & system of Project 17A ships are being placed on indigenous firms including MSMEs.
- The Project 17A or Nilgiri-class frigate is a follow-on of the Project 17 Shivalik-class frigate for the Indian Navy.
- The frigates are built with extensive use of low-observability technologies, including new radar-absorbing coatings, composite materials and “faceted” shape superstructures.
- Project 17A ships are sourcing 80% of the material/ equipment required for the project from indigenous vendors and with employment generation for over 2000 Indian firms and MSMEs within the country.
Further reading: https://journalsofindia.com/project-17a-of-indian-navy/