In news- Recently,the Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment has launched an online portal TAPAS (Training for Augmenting Productivity and Services), developed by the National Institute of Social Defence (NISD).
About TAPAS initiative
- The idea of TAPAS was conceptualised at a time when exploring the online medium for work and education had become imperative due to the outbreak of Covid 19 pandemic.
- It is initiated by NISD, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- It seeks to provide access to lectures by subject experts, study material and more, but in a manner that it supplements the physical classroom without compromising on the quality of teaching.
- The main objective of introducing the course modules is to impart training and enhance the knowledge and skills for the capacity building of the participants.
- It can be taken up by anyone who wishes to enhance his or her knowledge on the topics and there is no fee for joining.
- It is a standard MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) platform with course material such as filmed lectures and e-study material.
- It also includes discussion forums to support and encourage interactions among students and course coordinators.
- The platform has been made with a quadrant approach.
- There will be a virtual class where an expert or a resource person will give a lecture about the subject with the help of animated infographics and Powerpoint presentations.
- The participants will be provided with informative material like articles, case studies and other study material on the related topic, which can be downloaded for future reference.
- After completing each module, students can assess their understanding of the subject with the help of a multiple-choice quiz.
- There is also a discussion forum on the portal on which they can raise their doubts with the course coordinator.
Basic courses under TAPAS- Drug (Substance) Abuse Prevention, Geriatric/Elderly Care, Care and Management of Dementia, Transgender Issues and Comprehensive course on Social Defence Issues.
National Institute of Social Defence(NISD)-
- NISD is a Central Advisory Body for the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India.
- It is a Centre of Excellence on research and training in the field of social defence.
- NISD coordinates and liaises between the government and the non-government organisations at state, national and international levels.
- The institute develops preventive, curative and rehabilitative tools, programmes and policies in the field of social defence, and also undertakes research, training, consultancy, documentation and publication in the field.
- It was set up originally as the Central Bureau of Correctional Services in 1961, under the Ministry of Home Affairs, in pursuance of the recommendations emerging at various National Forums.
- In 1964, the Bureau was transferred to the then Department of Social Security.
- Since 1975, the Institute has been a subordinate office under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- NISD became an Autonomous Body in 2002.
- It is registered under the Societies Act XXI of 1860 with the Government of NCT, Delhi.