In news – The Election Commission’s two-day Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) consultation workshop concluded recently.
- The agenda of the workshop was to review state SVEEP plans and deliberate on the important aspects of SVEEP for a strategy for the forthcoming elections.
- ECI announced a new initiative, under which newly-registered electors will receive a voter guide, a personalised congratulatory letter and a pledge for ethical voting, along with their Voter ID cards.
- The new initiative was announced at a Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) consultation for the poll-bound States; Goa, Punjab, Manipur, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- SVEEP programme is the flagship programme of the Election Commission for voter education and awareness, spreading voter awareness and promoting voter literacy in India.
- SVEEP’s primary goal is to build a truly participative democracy in India by encouraging all eligible citizens to vote and make an informed decision during the elections.
- SVEEP began with the introduction of planned IEC (Information, Education, and Communication) interventions in the Jharkhand elections in 2009.
- This programme is based on multiple general as well as targeted interventions which are designed according to the socio-economic, cultural and demographic profile of the state as well as the history of electoral participation in previous rounds of elections and learning thereof.
Journey of SVEEP-
- SVEEP-I(2009-2013): The first phase of SVEEP spread broadly from end 2009 to 2013 and covered elections to the Legislative Assemblies of 21 States and 2 Union Territories till December 2013.
- SVEEP-I (April 2013- Till present):
- Carrying forward and strengthening the initiatives of SVEEP I, the second phase of SVEEP involved a planned strategy for targeted approach towards bridging the various gaps.
- A structured framework including polling station-wise situation analysis, planning, implementation, review and regular evaluation was put in place.
- SVEEP III (Being undertaken):
- Drawing learnings from the historic Lok Sabha Elections of 2014, a more robust and in-depth plan is in place for SVEEP III.
- Enhanced interaction with the citizens through online and offline modes; awareness about new initiatives and a standardized yearly plan of activities, form a part of this phase.