The National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL), a SWAYAM national coordinator, has opened enrollment for more than 500 online certification courses, which are open to students and working professionals across India.
- Translation to Regional Language: All the SWAYAM Courses and SWAYAM Prabha videos to be translated to ten regional languages in a time-bound manner.
- Acceptance of SWAYAM Credits: It has also been decided that University Grants Commission (UGC) and All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) will follow up with Universities and institutions to accept SWAYAM credits.
- This will enable students to do part of their course through Massive open online courses (MOOC) and part in various colleges.
- Incentives to Faculties: To encourage faculty to provide more courses under SWAYAM, it has been decided to provide appropriate incentives for their career.
- Study Webs of Active Learning for Young Aspiring Minds (SWAYAM), was launched on July 9, 2017 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development to provide one integrated platform and portal for online courses.
- This covers all higher education subjects and skill sector courses.
- The objective is to ensure that every student in the country has access to the best quality higher education at the affordable cost.
- Academicians from hundreds of institutions throughout the country are involved in developing & delivering Massive open online courses (MOOCs) through SWAYAM in almost all disciplines from senior schooling to Post Graduation.
- Professors of centrally funded institutions like IITs, IIMs, central universities will offer online courses to citizens of India through this platform.
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Human Resources Development to provide 32 High Quality Educational Channels through DTH across the length and breadth of the country on 24X7 basis.
- It has curriculum-based course content covering diverse disciplines.
- This is primarily aimed at making quality learning resources accessible to remote areas where internet availability is still a challenge.
- The DTH channels are using the GSAT-15 satellite for programme telecasts.
|University Grants Commission|
|What is MOOC?|
A massive open online course (MOOC) is an online course aimed at unlimited participation and open access via the web. In addition to traditional course materials such as filmed lectures, readings, and problem sets, many MOOCs provide interactive user forums to support community interactions between students, professors, and teaching assistants (TAs). MOOCs are a recent and widely researched development in distance education which was first introduced in 2008 and emerged as a popular mode of learning in 2012. Early MOOCs often emphasized open-access features, such as open licensing of content, structure and learning goals, to promote the reuse and remixing resources. MOOCs use closed licenses for their course materials while maintaining free access students.