In news- A novel hybrid technology called SWASTIIK has been developed to disinfect water completely and also offer possible health benefits of natural oils.
About the technology-
- The technology is called SWASTIIK (Safe Water and Sustainable Technology Initiative from Indian Knowledgebase).
- It provides safe and healthy drinking water at low cost with substantial ease of operation, scale-up, and without harmful disinfection by-products.
- It is developed by scientists at CSIR-NCL Pune, with support from the Water Technology Initiative of the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India.
- The technique used hydrodynamic cavitation combines chemistry, biology, and chemical engineering along with natural resources in the form of natural oils and plant extracts.
- The process, which draws inspiration from Indian traditional knowledge, has resulted in increased efficiency and reduced cost of water treatment.
- The team achieved complete elimination for gram-negative E. coli and gram-positive S. aureus bacteria and even AMR bacteria/ difficult opportunistic pathogenic bacteria typically in 5-10 minutes.
- It was observed that increased rates of disinfection using oil can drastically reduce the time of operation.