Recently, the Department of Science and Technology awarded Swarnajayanti Fellowship to 21 recipients
About Swarnajayanti Fellowship
- This fellowship scheme was instituted by the government of India to commemorate India’s fiftieth year of Independence.
- Under this scheme, a selected number of young scientists, with a proven track record, are provided special assistance and support to enable them to pursue basic research in frontier areas of science and technology.
- The fellowships are scientist specific and not institution-specific, very selective and have close academic monitoring.
- The award consists of
- A Fellowship of Rs 25000/- per month in addition to the salary drawn from the parent Institute
- A Research Grant of Rs 5 lakh per annum by Department of Science and Technology for a period of 5 years
- The project submitted by the selected Fellows will be considered for funding by the Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB) as per SERB norms, for recurring and non-recurring heads.
- Scientists selected for the award will be allowed to pursue unfettered research with a freedom and flexibility in terms of expenditure as approved in the research plan.
- The project should contain innovative research idea and it should have a potential of making impact on R&D in the discipline
- The duration of the fellowship will be for a period not exceeding five years.