Context: Swarna Jayanti Fellowships have been awarded to 14 Indian Scientists
- To commemorate India’s fiftieth year of Independence the fellowships were awarded
- A selected number of young scientists, with proven track record, are provided special assistance and support to enable them to pursue basic research in frontier areas of science and technology. It is scientist specific and not institution specific,
- It is very selective and have close academic monitoring.
- The project should contain innovative research idea and it should have a potential of making impact on R&D in the discipline.
- The duration of the fellowship will be for a period not exceeding five years.
- Financial support
- The award consists of a Fellowship of Rs 25000/- per month in addition to the salary drawn from the parent Institute along with a Research Grant of Rs 5 lakh per annum by Department of Science and Technology for a period of 5 years, while the project submitted by the selected Fellows will be considered for funding by the Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB)