- It is the first large-scale multimodal neuroimaging database designed specifically for the Indian population with big-data architecture and analytics for various disease categories under one platform.
- It would strengthen Alzheimer’s disease (AD) research and help the scientific community come up with promising treatments.
- It proposes a big-data architecture that manages and analyzes six modules, namely
- Neurodegenerative [AD, mild cognitive impairment (MCI), and Parkinson’s disease (PD)].
- Neuropsychiatric (schizophrenia and bipolar disorder).
- Neurodevelopmental (autism and epilepsy).
- COVID-19-related disorders, other disorders, and healthy subjects.
- SWADESH is supported by JAVA-based workflow environment and Python.
- Backed by a dedicated storage system, it provides quality control, data analysis reports, and data backups.
- Its development will facilitate the integration of multi-site data and collaborative research worldwide.
- Presently, SWADESH has data of 500 AD and MCI patients and 70 PD patients.
- It also includes data of 600 healthy old individuals and 800 healthy young individuals in the control group.
Clinical research tools-
DBT-NBRC has developed the following clinical research tools through SWADESH:
- GAURI system uses adaptive pattern recognition and learning schemes for predictive single or differential diagnosis, designed with MRI modalities and neuropsychological batteries.
- NINS-STAT is a high-performance state-of-the-art automated statistical test selection and execution software package with high applicability in clinical research.
- KALPANA is an integrative package for visualization, preprocessing, and quantitation of MRS data.
- PRATEEK analyzes multimodal neuroimaging data that minimizes the need for expertise in handling different neuroimaging tools for processing and analyzing multimodal data.
- Stimulus Timing Integrated Module (STIM) includes a versatile paradigm design system, presentation system, and real-time participant response-collection system for functional MRI-related purposes, mapping brain activity non-invasively in normal healthy condition and clinical evaluation of various brain disorders.
- BHARAT is a big-data analytic model for early diagnostic biomarkers of AD. The design included a Hadoop-based big-data framework integrating MRI, MRS, and neuropsychological test scores.
About National Brain Research Centre(NBRC)-
- It is the only institute in India dedicated to Neuroscience Research and Education.
- The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) established NBRC to provide the state of art facilities for a coordinated multi-disciplinary team of scientists to work in the frontier areas of Neurosciences.
- The creation of NBRC was announced on 14th November 1997.
- Now, NBRC is an autonomous institute funded by the DBT and is also a Deemed-to-be University
- NBRC has been recognised as an Institution of Excellence by the Government of India.