In news- The Union Government has launched the 8th edition of Swachh Survekshan – SS-2023 under Swachh Bharat Mission Urban 2.0.
About Swachh Survekshan – SS-2023-
- Designed with the theme of ‘Waste to Wealth’ SS-2023 is curated towards achieving circularity in waste management.
- The survey would give priority to the principle of 3 Rs- Reduce, Recycle and Reuse.
- The evaluation will be conducted in four phases, instead of three phases in earlier editions.
- Swachh Survekshan has emerged as the largest Urban sanitation survey in the world.
- It has been conducted by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) since 2016.
- Swachh Survekshan 2022 covered 4,355 cities and 85,860 wards.
- The survey provides an opportunity for the under-achievers to take steps toward creating cleaner cities and improving their service delivery to the citizens.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Swachh Bharat Mission Urban (SBMU) 2.0 on October 1st, 2021, with a vision of “Garbage Free Cities”.