In news–In a major development, Union Jal Shakti Minister has declared Andaman and Nicobar Islands as India’s first Swachh Sujal Pradesh.
- From now on, Andaman and Nicobar Islands will also be known as India’s first “Clean and Sujal Pradesh”.
- All the villages of the state have been certified as Har Ghar Jal and ODF Plus.
- With this accomplishment, all villages on the Andaman and Nicobar Islands have received the Har Ghar Jal certification and have been verified as ODF plus open defecation free.
- On World Water Day, 22 March 2021, Andaman and Nicobar Islands was declared to have achieved 100% coverage of rural households with tap water connection.
- It became the third State/UT in the country to achieve 100% coverage of rural households with tap water supply after Goa and Telangana.
- Additionally, there was a focus on improving its Water Quality Monitoring and Surveillance (WQMS), IoT-based sensors for measuring and monitoring water supply schemes, grey water management, and most importantly, Information, Education & Communication (IEC) activities to educate people about various facets of water management like water conservation, wise water use, wastewater treatment, and re-use, etc.
- Note: on August 19 , 2022, India crossed a milestone of providing pure water from the tap to 10 crore rural households as it completed 3 years of its launch.
What is Swachh Sujal Pradesh?
There are namely three important components of Sujal and Swachh state:
- Safe and secure drinking water supply and management.
- ODF Plus: ODF Sustainability and Solid and Liquid Waste Management (SLWM) and
- Cross-cutting interventions like convergence, IEC, action planning, etc.
Safe and secure drinking water supply and its management is a crucial aspect of the Sujal and Swachh
Piped water supply to 368 schools, 558 Anganwadi centres.
Indian Swachhata League–
- It is India’s first inter-city competition led by youth toward building Garbage Free Cities.
- More than 1,800 cities from Leh to Kanniyakumari are participating by setting up a team for their city and planning activities.
- It seeks to work together towards the mission’s goal of making cities clean, green, and garbage-free.
- It is part of the ongoing fortnight-long celebrations ‘Swachh Amrit Mahotsav’ from 17th Sept. 2022, Seva Diwas, till 2nd Oct. 2022, Gandhi Jayanti.