In news– The 15th edition of Indo – Nepal Joint Military Training, Exercise Surya Kiran between Indian Army and Nepali Army has commenced from 20 September 2021 at Pithoragarh (UK).
About Exercise Surya Kiran
- During the exercise, an Infantry Battalion each from the Indian Army and the Nepali Army will be training together to develop inter-operability and share their experience of counter terrorism operations and disaster relief operations.
- The exercise is aimed at sharing experiences gained during the conduct of various counter insurgency operations by both countries.
- The training will also focus on humanitarian aid and disaster relief including medical and aviation support.
- It includes 48 hours of gruelling drill to validate counter insurgency operations in mountainous terrains.
- The Indian side in the joint exercise is being represented by the 6th Garhwal Regiment, while the Nepalese side is being represented by the Ripu Daman battalion of Nepali Army.
- Every year there is a battalion exercise. One year it is in Nepal and another year it is held in India.
- Last edition of Exercise Surya Kiran was conducted in Nepal in 2019.