In News: New Scheme Support for Marginalized Individuals for Livelihood & Enterprise (SMILE)
About Support for Marginalized Individuals for Livelihood & Enterprise (SMILE)
- Support for Marginalized Individuals for Livelihood & Enterprise (SMILE) which is a new Scheme after merger of existing Schemes for Beggars and Transgenders.
- The budgetary outlay is Rs 70.00 crore.
- Objective: is to cover the welfare measures for both transgender persons and persons who are engaged in the act of begging.
- Focus: On rehabilitation, provision of medical facilities, counseling, education, skill development etc with the support of State Governments/UTs/Local Urban Bodies, Voluntary Organizations, Community Based Organizations (CBOs) and institutions etc.
- It is estimated that an approximate 60,000 poorest persons would be benefited under this scheme for leading a life of dignity.
Comprehensive Rehabilitation Scheme of Beggars
Ministry: Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
- It will be a comprehensive scheme for persons engaged in the act of begging.
- The scheme will cover identification, rehabilitation, provision of medical facilities, counselling, education, skill development with the support of State Governments, Local Urban Bodies and Voluntary Organizations.
- The scheme will be implemented in the selected cities having large concentrations of Beggar community during the financial year 2020-2021.
- The government is working in a mission mode with complete commitment to ‘Har Ek Kaam, Desh Ke Naam’.
- Pilot projects of this scheme will be initiated during the Financial Year 2019-20 subject to submission of city specific Action Plan by the State Governments.
- 100% Assistance under the Scheme shall be provided to the States/UTs for its implementation.
- During the year 2019-20, this Ministry has released an amount of Rs. One Crore to National Institute of Social Defence (NISD) and Rs. 70.00 Lakh to National Backward Classes Finance & Development Corporation (NBCFDC) for skill development programmes for beggars.
- National Backward Classes Finance & Development Corporation:
- NBCFDC was incorporated 13th January 1992 as a non-profit company under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India to improve and develop the economic activities for the members of Backward Classes who are living below double the poverty line.
- The Corporation can assist loans for their self-employment ventures in sectors like agriculture, transport and service etc.
- NBCFDC also provides Micro Financing through SCAs/ Self Help Groups (SHGs).
- The Corporation can assist a wide range of income generating activities to assist the poorer section of these classes in skill development and self-employment ventures.