In news– Recently, a supersonic missile assisted torpedo system developed by DRDO was successfully launched from Wheeler Island in Odisha.
About the missile-
- It is a next generation missile-based standoff torpedo delivery system.
- It has been designed to enhance anti-submarine warfare capability far beyond the conventional range of the torpedo.
- Torpedoes are self-propelled weapons that travel underwater to hit the target and can be fired from either above or under the water surface.
- This canister-based missile system consists of advanced technologies viz. two stage solid propulsion, electro-mechanical actuators and precision inertial navigation.
- This SMART system comprises a mechanism by which the torpedo is launched from an existing supersonic missile system — by making complex modifications in it — which takes the torpedo to a much longer range than its own.
- The system also gives flexibility in terms of the launch platform that comes with the missile system.
- A number of DRDO laboratories have developed technologies required for SMART system, they are:
- Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) Hyderabad.
- Research Center Imarat (RCI) Hyderabad.
- Aerial Delivery Research and Development Establishment (ADRDE) Agra
- Naval Science and Technology Laboratory (NSTL) Visakhapatnam.
- The anti-submarine warfare assets consist of deployment of submarines, specialized anti-submarine ships, air assets and state of the art reconnaissance and detection mechanisms.
- It was the second successful test of the SMART system, its maiden successful test in October last year.
- The recent launch was a text book launch, where the entire trajectory was monitored by the electro optic telemetry system, various range radars, including the down range instrumentation and down range ships.