In News: Minister for Social justice and Empowerment Thawar Chand Gehlot will virtually launch “Sugamya Bharat App”
Sugamya Bharat App
- Sugamya Bharat App is a means for sensitising and enhancing accessibility.
- It is a crowdsourcing mobile application to sensitise and enhance accessibility in the three pillars of the Accessible India Campaign – built environment, transportation sector and ICT. It provides for five main features of which four are directly related to enhancing accessibility.
- They include registration of complaints of inaccessibility across the broad pillars of built environment, transportation sector and Information and Communication Technology (ICT) ecosystem, positive feedback of examples and best practices worth emulating being shared by people as jan-bhagidhari; Departmental s; and guidelines and circulars related to accessibility.
- The fifth feature is a special feature meant only for Divyangjan for COVID related issues.
- The registered users of this application can bring out issues related to accessibility.
Accessible India Campaign (Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan)
- The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has conceptualised the “Accessible India Campaign (Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan)” .
- Nation-wide flagship campaign for achieving universal accessibility that will enable persons with disabilities to gain access for equal opportunity and live independently and participate fully in all aspects of life in an inclusive society.
- The campaign targets at enhancing the accessibility of the built environment, transport system and Information & communication ecoSystem.
Components of Accessible India Campaign
Accessible India Campaign (Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan) has the following three important components
- Built Environment Accessibility
- Transportation System Accessibility
- Information and Communication Eco-System Accessibility