he Start-up India initiative of the Government of India envisages to build a robust Start-up ecosystem in the country for nurturing innovation and providing opportunities to budding entrepreneurs. The active support of State/UT Governments is crucial for achieving the overall objectives of the program.
State Startup Rankings Parameters
- The key objective of the exercise is to encourage States and Union Territories to take proactive steps towards strengthening the Start-up ecosystems in their states.
- The ‘State/UT Startup Ranking Framework’ 2019 is spread across 7 areas of intervention with a total of 30 action points, as compared to the 38 action points in the previous year State Ranking Framework
- Framework Pillar-Number of Action Points-Area wise Score
. Institutional Support-8-25
. Simplifying Regulations-3-12
. Easing Public Procurement– 6-14
. Incubation Support-4-23
. Seed Funding Support-3-11
. Venture Funding Support-2-8
. Awareness and Outreach-4-8
State Startup Rankings
- Gujarat and Andaman & Nicobar Islands have emerged as the best performers among states and UTs in the second edition of ranking of the startup ecosystem in the country.
- Kerala has bagged the Top Performer honour for developing a strong start-up ecosystem for the second consecutive year in the States’ Startup Ranking 2019.
- While four states were adjudged as the top performers last year, only Kerala and Karnataka have been selected this year.
- Kerala has taken several exemplary initiatives in establishing institutional support for women-led startups, including pre-incubation support, special subsidies and seed funding.
- Leaders: Maharashtra, Bihar, Odisha, Rajasthan, Chandigarh
- Aspiring Leaders: Punjab, Telangana, Uttarakhand, Jharkhand, Haryana
- Emerging Startup Ecosystems: Chhattisgarh, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Sikkim, Nagaland, Mizoram, Madhya Pradesh, Assam
- The State Ranking Framework has made documentary evidence of compliance on action points by the State/ UT Government a prerequisite for collection of feedback. Scoring was then done on the basis of the feedback received.