In news– The Prime Minister released a special commemorative coin of 125 rupees and address the gathering on the occasion of the 125th Birth Anniversary of Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada Ji
About Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada Ji-
- Srila Prabhupada, born Abhay Charan De (September 1 1896 in Calcutta), was an Indian spiritual teacher and the founder-acharya (preceptor) of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON).
- He is especially respected as the world’s most prominent contemporary authority on bhakti-yoga, devotional service to the Supreme Person, Krishna, as taught by the ancient Vedic writings of India.
- The ISKCON which was founded in 1966 is commonly known as the “Hare Krishna movement”.
- Members of the ISKCON movement view Bhaktivedanta Swami as a representative and messenger of Krishna Chaitanya.
- He translated and commented on over eighty volumes of the Vedas’ most important sacred bhakti texts, including the Bhagavad-gita and the multi-volume Srimad-Bhagavatam.
- His own spiritual master, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakur, was the leading proponent of Krishna consciousness in India during the early part of the twentieth century.
- Swami ji also established over a hundred temples and wrote several books, teaching the path of Bhakti Yoga to the world.
- Swamiji also spent his life in New York to spread the message of Sri Krishna.
- In his later years, as a travelling Vaishnava monk, he became an influential communicator of Gaudiya Vaishnava sampradaya’s theology to India and specifically to the West through his leadership of ISKCON.