Recently the Prime Minister inaugurated SPICMACAY Anubhav- a week-long programme for children via video message. SPICMACAY was conducted in online mode due to COVID-19
What is SPICMACAY?
- SPIC MACAY (Society for the Promotion of Indian Classical Music And Culture Amongst Youth) is a non-profit, voluntary, non-political and participatory student movement founded in 1977 by Dr Kiran Seth, Professor-Emeritus at IIT-Delhi who was awarded the ‘Padma Shri’ for his contribution to the arts in 2009
- It is registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860
- SPICMACAY’s intention is to enrich the quality of formal education by increasing awareness about different aspects of Indian heritage and inspiring the young mind to imbibe the values embedded in it.
- It seeks to inspire youth through experiencing the mysticism embodied in the rich and heterogeneous cultural tapestry of Indian and World Heritage, with a hope that the beauty, grace, values and wisdom embodied in these arts will influence their way of life and thinking and inspire one to become a better human being
- It introduced of the lec-dem (lecture-demonstration) format to present Indian classical art forms in a comprehensive manner in front of today’s youth, which has given them an understanding of the basics of the classical art forms, and done away with the misconception that classical arts are difficult to understand
- The movement has a central executive body in New Delhi and organises its programmes through a worldwide network of schools, colleges and educational institutions.
- SPIC MACAY is supported nationally by the Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, and the HRD Ministry.
- Internationally, SPIC MACAY is recognised and supported by Rikskonsertene (Norway) and Goethe Institute (Germany)
About the event
- It has been organising national and international annual conventions for the last 35 years.
- These week-long residential programmes are usually arranged in large educational institutions such as IIT or IIM.
- School and college students from all over the country or world come together for the cultural exercise.
- It is the first time that SPIC MACAY is doing a convention online