Why in news?
Russia has launched the Spektr space telescope along with Germany.
What is this mission?
- This mission is vested with the responsibility of observation of outer galaxies, other celestial objects and so on.
- A joint project between the Russian Space Agency, Roscosmos, and the German Space Agency, DLR, is the Spektrum-Röntgen-Gamma mission, also known as Spektr-RG.
- Spektr-RG is positioned in space in the orbit called a Lagrange point (L2) where the gravitational forces of two large objects, the sun and the planet, balance each other out in this case.
- It will perform observations with low fuel usage.
- It is expected the spacecraft will find 100,000 galaxy clusters, 3 million supermassive black holes, tens of thousands of star-forming galaxies, plasma activity, and many more object types.
- The observatory includes two X-ray mirror telescopes, called ART-XC and eROSITA.
- Spektr-RG’s key objective will be to investigate the mysterious cosmic components known as’ dark matter’ and’ dark energy ‘.