In news– The Election Commission’s annual exercise to revise the electoral roll concluded recently with the publication of the final electoral roll with January 1, 2023 as the qualifying date.
About ECI’s annual exercise- The Indian Express
- The Election Commission of India conducts Special Summary Revision to enroll unenrolled eligible citizens during the month of Oct-Nov every year.
- This revision was the first one since the government amended the election laws to allow four qualifying dates every year — January 1, April 1, July 1 and October 1.
- Those who turn 18 after January 1 were also asked to submit their registration forms during the SSR so they may be included in the rolls as and when they qualify.
- These new electors would be included during quarterly updation.
- Additions, deletions and changes to entries on the rolls were incorporated during the Special Summary Revision (SSR) 2023 that started in July 2022.
- The websites of 23 states and UTs had been updated with the final electoral roll.
- For these states and UTs, electors can visit the respective CEOs’ website to either look for their names on the roll of their polling station, if they know it, or search with the name, age, date of birth and other details or Voter ID number.
Source: The Indian Express