Recently the Union government has approved the establishment of the National Institute for Sowa-Rigpa in Leh
What is Sowa-Rigpa?
- “Sowa-Rigpa” commonly known as the Tibetan system of medicine(Amchi) is one of the oldest, living and well documented medical traditions of the world.
- Sowa-Rigpa is based on the principle that bodies of all the living beings and non-living objects of the universe are composed of five Cosmo physical elements of Jung-wa-nga (Prithvi, Jal, Agni, Vayu and Akash). When the proportion of these elements is in an imbalance in our body, disorder results.
- The basic theory of Sowa-Rigpa may be adumbrated in terms of the following five points:
- The body in disease as the locus of treatment
- Antidote, i.e., the treatment
- The method of treatment through the antidote
- Medicine that cures the disease
- Materia Medica, Pharmacy & Pharmacology
- The majority of theory and practice of Sowa-Rigpa is similar to “Ayurveda”.
- It originated from Tibet and popularly practiced in India, Nepal, Bhutan, Mongolia and Russia.
- It was recognized by the Government in 2011.