- The Department of Science and Technology (DST) is initiating the setting up a shared, professionally managed, Science and Technology infrastructure facility, which can be readily accessible to academia, start-ups, manufacturing units, industries and R&D Labs. Such S&T infrastructure will be known as Sophisticated Analytical & Technical Help Institute (SATHI).
- These Centres will be equipped with major analytical instruments and advanced manufacturing facilities, which is usually not available at Institutes / Organisations.
- The aim is to provide professionally managed services with efficiency, accessibility and transparency of highest order under one roof to service the demands of industry, start-ups and academia.
- In the first phase SATHI facilities are being located at IIT-Delhi, IIT-Kharagpur and BHU- Varanasi
- This effort is expected to reach out to much needed less endowed organisations like MSMEs, Start-ups, State Universities and Colleges fostering a strong culture of research collaboration between institutions and across disciplines to take advantage of developments, innovations and expertise in diverse areas.
Aims & Objectives of SATHI
- The aim of SATHI is to provide a shared, professionally managed services and strong Science and Technology infrastructure / facilities, with efficiency, accessibility and transparency of highest order under one roof to service the demands of faculty, researchers, scientist and students of Host and User institutes / organisations (including other academic institutes, universities, national laboratories, start-ups, manufacturing and engineering industries, SME’s, R&D Labs) to enable them to carry out R&D activities on a round the clock basis with minimum downtime.
- SATHI will have facilities for fabrication work, rapid prototyping, material testing, characterisation, new device fabrication, smart manufacturing and characterisation facilities etc., to attract and help R&D labs, industrial R&D, MSME, Incubators and Start-ups, etc.
- To organise short term courses / workshops / seminars, hands-on training programme etc. on the use and application of various instruments and techniques for both External and Internal Users / Researcher and provide the technical help and scientific knowledge to the end Users while accessing these sophisticated scientific instruments.
- To train technicians for maintenance and operation of sophisticated scientific instruments and keep a record book of these people trained with various specialised equipment available with respective centres and to engage these trained persons, while required for any other SATHI Centres for better societal outreach and utilisation of these trained manpower.
What will SATHI do?
- SATHI will address the problems of accessibility, maintenance, redundancy and duplication of expensive equipment in our is Institutions, while reaching out to the less endowed organizations in need, e.g., industry, MSMEs, startups and State Universities.
- This will also foster a strong culture of collaboration between institutions and across disciplines to take advantage of developments, innovations and expertise in diverse areas.