In news- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs launched ‘SonChiraiya’ (A brand and logo)- for marketing of urban Self-Help Group (SHG) products.
Key initiatives for SHGs-
- Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY–NULM), under the aegis of MoHUA, has focussed on equipping the urban poor women with adequate skills and opportunities, and to enable them to promote sustainable micro enterprises.
- It mobilises women from urban poor households into SHGs and their federations to create a support system for these women.
- Over 5.7 lakh SHGs have been formed across various States/ UTs with almost 60 lakh members.
- Many of these SHGs are engaged in livelihood activities, producing goods such as handicrafts, textiles, toys, eatables and so on.
- These were being sold primarily in local neighbourhood markets and often faced barriers in achieving visibility and wide market access.
- To overcome these challenges, the Ministry entered into Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) with leading e-Commerce Portals viz. Amazon and Flipkart, with an underlying narrative of women empowerment.
- Innovative methods of online training for SHGs have been ensured to enable them to smoothly operate on e-portals.
- This initiative will certainly prove as a step towards increased visibility and global access for the products made by urban SHG women.
- With this logo, the Ministry expects to link many more such SHG members, with a variety of professionally packaged, hand-crafted ethnic products, reaching the doorsteps of the customers globally.
Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY–NULM)
National Urban Livelihoods Mission (NULM) is renamed as Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana-(DAY-NULM) and in Hindi as – Rashtriya Shahri Aajeevika Mission.
To reduce poverty and vulnerability of the urban poor households by enabling them to access gainful self employment and skilled wage employment opportunities, resulting in an appreciable improvement in their livelihoods on a sustainable basis, through building strong grassroots level.
The mission would also aim to providing the shelter equipped with essential services to the urban homeless in a phased manner.
Component of Day-NULM
The scheme has two components one for urban India and other for rural India.
- The Urban component named as Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana will be implemented by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation.
- The rural component named as Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana will be implemented by the Ministry of Rural Development.