Source: PIB & Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC)
The Ministry of MSME has launched the Mission Solar Charkha for implementation of 50 Solar Charkha Clusters across the country for the year 2018-19 and 2019-20. The scheme is envisaged to generate direct employment for nearly one lakh persons. Solar Charkha units have been classified as Village Industries.
Objectives of the scheme are:
- To ensure inclusive growth by generation of employment, especially for women and youth, and sustainable development through solar charkha clusters in rural areas.
- To boost rural economy and help in arresting migration from rural to urban areas.
- To leverage low-cost, innovative technologies and processes for sustenance
- The scheme envisages setting up of ‘Solar Charkha Clusters’, which would mean a focal village and other surrounding villages in a radius of 8 to 10 kilometres.
- Further, such a cluster will have 200 to 2042 beneficiaries (Spinners, weavers, stitchers and other skilled artisans). Each spinner will be given two charkhas of 10 spindles each.
- Project interventions: The Scheme would cover the following three types of interventions.
- Capital subsidy for individual and for Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV)
- Interest subvention for Working Capital : It is proposed to have a ceiling of 8% of interest subvention on working capital irrespective of the interest rates being charged by the Banks/Financial Institutions for a period of six months.
- Capacity building : The scheme envisages courses for the spinners/weavers and others involved in the garmenting unit
The scheme is being implemented by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC), Mumbai. The scheme shall be implemented in all States of India
The target is to cover 50 solar clusters across the country, whereby approx. 1,00,000 artisans/beneficiaries are to be covered under the various scheme components. The scheme shall be implemented in all States of India. The geographical distribution of the clusters throughout the country, with at least 10% located in the North Eastern Region (NER), J&K and hilly states, will also be kept in view. Special focus will be given to 117 aspirational districts for soliciting project proposals under the scheme.