In news- Recently, the Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment has launched the Central Sector scheme “SMILE: Support for Marginalized Individuals for Livelihood and Enterprise”.
About “SMILE” scheme-
- This umbrella scheme, under the aegis of Department of Social Justice & Empowerment, is designed to provide welfare measures to the Transgender community and the people engaged in the act of begging.
- Additionally, Skill development/ vocational training will be provided to attain capacity, capability and desirability so that they can sustain and live a life of dignity by engaging in self-employment.
- Pilot projects initiated on Comprehensive Rehabilitation intercities namely Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Indore, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, Patna and Ahmedabad.
- The scheme includes two sub-schemes-
- Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation for Welfare of Transgender Persons and
- Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation those engaged in the act of Begging’.
- The sub schemes will be implemented by a party consisting of National Coordinators along with a suitable team which will be created in the Ministry.
- The qualifications of the National Coordinator, emoluments, powers and functions and line of command will be as prescribed by the Department of Social Justice & Empowerment.
- Besides, the components will be monitored at regular intervals by the Ministry including Project Monitoring Unit (PMU) or any other agency/unit appointed by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
- The Ministry has allocated Rs. 365 Crore for the scheme from 2021-22 to 2025-26.
Details on the sub-schemes-
The Sub-scheme – ‘Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation for Welfare of Transgender Persons’includes the following components-
- Scholarships for Transgender Students: Scholarships for students studying in IX and till post-graduation to enable them to complete their education.
- Skill Development and Livelihood: Skill Development and Livelihood under PM-DAKSH scheme of the Department.
- Composite Medical Health: A comprehensive package in convergence with PM-JAY supporting Gender-Reaffirmation surgeries through selected hospitals.
- Housing in the form of ‘Garima Greh’: Shelter Homes ‘Garima Greh’ where food, clothing, recreational facilities, skill development opportunities, recreational activities, medical support etc. will be provided.
- Provision of Transgender Protection Cell: Setting up of Transgender Protection in each state to monitor cases of offences and to ensure timely registration, investigation and prosecution of offences.
- E-Services (National Portal Helpline and Advertisement) and other Welfare Measures.
The focus of the sub-scheme ‘Comprehensive Rehabilitation of persons engaged in the act of Begging’ is as follows-
- Survey and identification: Survey and Identification of beneficiaries shall be carried out by the Implementing Agencies.
- Mobilization: Outreach work will be done to mobilize the persons engaged in begging to avail the services available in the Shelter Homes.
- Rescue/Shelter Home: The shelter homes will facilitate education for children engaged in the act of Begging and children of persons engaged in the act of Begging.
- Comprehensive resettlement.