In news– Smart Cities Mission has launched “Smart cities and Academia Towards Action & Research (SAAR)” program recently.
About SAAR program-
- It is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, National Institute of Urban Affairs and leading Indian academic institutions of the country.
- Under the program, 15 premier architecture & planning institutes of the country will be working with Smart Cities to document landmark projects undertaken by the Smart Cities Mission.
- The documents will capture learnings from best practices.
- It will provide opportunities to students for engagement on urban development projects and enable real-time information flow between urban practitioners and academia.
- The first activity envisaged under SAAR is to prepare a compendium of 75 landmark urban projects in India under the Smart Cities Mission.
- These 75 urban projects are innovative, multi-sectoral, and have been implemented across geographies.
- The program marks the 75th anniversary of India’s independence.
National Institute of Urban Affairs-
- It is an institute for research, training and information dissemination in urban development and management in New Delhi, India.
- It was established in 1976 as an autonomous body under the Societies Registration Act.
- The Institute is supported by the Ministry of Urban Development, State Governments, urban and regional development authorities and other agencies concerned with urban issues.
- The Institute’s policies and directions are determined by the Governing Council consisting of a President, who is appointed by the Government of India.
Further reading: https://journalsofindia.com/smart-city-mission/