Recently, the 2nd edition of India, Singapore and Thailand Trilateral Maritime Exercise SITMEX-20 held from 21 to 22 November 2020 in Andaman Sea.
Key highlights of the exercise
- The SITMEX series of exercises are conducted to enhance mutual inter-operability and imbibing best practices between IN, Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) and Royal Thai Navy (RTN).
- The first edition of SITMEX, hosted by Indian Navy, was conducted off Port Blair in September 2019.
- The 2020 edition of the exercise is being hosted by RSN.
- RSN is being represented by the ‘Formidable’ Class frigate ‘Intrepid’ and ‘Endurance’ Class Landing Ship Tank ‘Endeavour’ and RTN by the ‘Chao Phraya’ Class frigate ‘Kraburi’ in the exercise.
- This year Indian Navy (IN) Ships including indigenously built ASW corvette Kamorta and missile corvette Karmuk have participated in the 2nd edition of SITMEX
- Besides improving inter-operability between the friendly navies, SITMEX series of exercise also aim to strengthen mutual confidence and develop common understanding and procedures towards enhancing the overall maritime security in the region.