Source: The Hindu
Manifest pedagogy: Project implementation at the ground leve;l and use of technology has been one of the key themes in the 21st century. Space based applications of planning and development are chief amongst them.
In news: ISRO has launched the SISDP phase-2 project.
Placing it in syllabus: Panchayat Raj institutions
- What is SISDP- phase 2?
- Its importance
SISDP project is launched to assist Gram Panchayats at grassroot level with basic planning inputs derived from satellite data for preparing developmental plans, its implementation and monitoring the activities. SISDP phase I Project was successfully concluded in the year 2016-17.
What is SISDP- phase 2?
- Space based Information Support for Decentralised Planning at Panchayat level (SIS-DP) is a national initiative of preparing basic spatial layers useful in planning process at grassroot levels as per 73rd, 74th constitutional amendment of local self governance.
- National Remote Sensing Centre(NRSC), located in Hyderabad is the lead centre to execute the project in collaboration with various State Remote Sensing Centres.
- “SISDP-Update” has been initiated with enhanced objectives of providing value added geospatial products and services to aid Gram Panchayat development planning process of Ministry of Panchayat Raj (MoPR).
- The space agency will use its geoportal – Bhuvan Panchayat V-3.0 – for database visualisation, data analytics, generation of automatic reports, model based products and services.
What is its importance?
- The data shared by ISRO helps in planning across rural parts of the country ranging from e-government services to optimization of schools.
- Geospatial products and services are generated unlike in the first phase wherein only a database was created.
- For the first time, thematic database (on 1:10,000 scale) for the entire country is available with integrated high resolution satellite data for planning which benefits the gram panchayat members and other stakeholders.
- The technology is used for mapping of roads, canals, rails, drainage and water bodies.
- Used for proper location of places for agriculture, forests, ground water, land use and urban management.
- Helps in flood control, management of sodic land, projects of civil engineering etc….