In news- NITI Aayog, with RMI and RMI India’s support launched Shoonya campaign- an initiative to promote zero-pollution delivery vehicles by working with consumers and industry.
About the campaign-
- The campaign aims to accelerate adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) in the urban deliveries segment and create consumer awareness about the benefits of zero-pollution delivery.
- The primary objective of the campaign is to promote awareness about health, environmental and economic benefits of electric vehicles.
- Initially, close to 30 companies including Mahindra Electric, Tata Motors, Zomato, Ashok Leyland, Sun Mobility, Lightning Logistics, Big Basket, Bluedart, Hero Electric, and Swiggy among others have supported the campaign.
- A corporate branding and certification programme is being launched to recognise and promote industry’s efforts towards transitioning to EVs for final-mile deliveries.
- An online tracking platform will share the campaign’s impact through data such as vehicle kilometers electrified, carbon savings, criteria pollutant savings and other benefits from clean delivery vehicles.
EVs emit no tailpipe emissions, which can contribute immensely to an improved air quality. During manufacture, they emit 15-40 percent less CO2 compared to their internal combustion engine counterparts and have lower operational cost.