Why in news?
The awards for the year 2019 were conferred by the PM Narendra Modi.
Which is the prize?
- Established in 1958, the award is named after Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar.
- It is awarded annually by the Scientific and Industrial Research Council (CSIR) with a memento and prize money of 5 lakhs.
- It is awarded for various science disciplines such as physical science, chemistry, biological science, medical science, mathematical science, computer science, earth science and planetary science.
- Every specialty will have no more than 2 award winners.
- The award winner must be an Indian resident with 45 years of research in the field.
- His work shall be made in the jurisdiction of India.
Who is the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar?
- He was the first director of CSIR (Scientific and Industrial Research Council) and University Grants Commission (UGC).
- In 1954 he received the Padma Bhushan award.