In news-The first consignment of Shahi Litchi from Bihar was exported to the United Kingdom by Cira Enterprises and sourced from farmers in Muzaffarpur, Bihar.
About the fruit-
- GI registration for Shahi Litchi is held with the Muzaffarpur-based Litchi Growers Association of Bihar.
- It is the fourth agricultural product to get GI certification from Bihar in 2018, after Jardalu mango, Katarni rice and Magahi paan.
- It has a short-shelf life which necessitates exploring export opportunities for the processed and value-added products.
- India is the second largest producer of litchi (Litchi chin) in the world, after China.
- Bihar tops in terms of production of litchi in India.
- Other major litchi-producing countries are Thailand, Australia, South Africa, Madagascar and the United States.
- The translucent, flavoured aril or edible flesh of the litchi is popular as a table fruit in India, while in China and Japan it is preferred in dried or canned form.