Source: Press Information Bureau
- Recently Indian Railways launched 09 ‘Sewa Service’ Trains to connect smaller towns around major cities.
- This was part of strategies of Indian Railways to have better utilization of the rolling stock without any requisition for new rolling stock.
- These trains will run on the “Hub and Spoke” Model, thereby facilitating passengers to use these trains to reach the “Hub” for availing onward journey to other major stations.
- Indian Railways plans to run more trains on similar model to serve the passengers of smaller towns and cities.
- These measures are also expected to boost the earnings of the Indian Railways to help in strengthening the economy.
- Of 09 ‘Sewa Service’ trains in eight states, four trains will run on a daily basis and other five, 6 days a week. They are;
- Vadnagar – Mahesana DEMU- Gujarat
- Asarva –Himmatnagar DEMU- Gujarat
- Karur – Salem DEMU – Tamil Nadu
- Coimbatore – Pollachi Passenger – Tamil Nadu
- Coimbatore – Palani Passenger- Tamil Nadu
- Yesvantpur – Tumkur DEMU – Karnataka
- Murkongselek – Dibrugarh Passenger – Assam
- Bhubaneswar – Nayagarh Express – Assam
- Delhi – Shamli Passenger
- These trains will provide connectivity to the far-flung areas where stoppages of premiere trains was not possible.
- These trains will act as link trains to serve the common man of the country. The Minister recalled the connect of Mahatma Gandhi to the Railways.