In News: The portal called ‘SERB – PRoject Information System & Management (SERB – PRISM)’ developed by SERB, a Statutory body of the Department of Science and Technology (DST), was launched by Prof. Ashutosh Sharma, Chairman, SERB, & Secretary, DST, recently, through an e-platform.
About SERB – PRISM Portal
- It is the external public portal developed as part of the Management Information System (MIS)
- The information made available in PRISM are drawn from two sources:
- Offline project files from 2011 onwards that have been digitised and archived.
- Online project files from SERB online portal starting from 2014 onwards.
- SERB-PRISM provides a platform which makes project details, research outcomes, facilities created, and their achievements originating from SERB funding accessible.
- This portal is designed to provide information regarding projects sanctioned by SERB from 2011 onwards, including funding details, status, research summary, and project output information such as publications and patents.
- Search facilities enable retrieval of information about projects by Name of PI, institution, state, keywords, as well as year-wise listing and equipment that has been sanctioned by SERB in these projects.
- The portal is expected to work as a comprehensive tool to help forge stronger scientist-scientist, and science-society connections.
- It will help researchers to look at research trends, learn about cutting-edge science, locate critical equipment in their vicinity and help seek collaborations across disciplines.
Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)
- Established through an Act of Parliament, SERB is a statutory body with requisite financial and administrative autonomy for performing its mandated functions. Creation of SERB, in 2011.
- Important institutional milestone in the Indian S&T ecosystem.
- Chaired by Secretary, DST, SERB comprises 17 members that includes seven Secretaries to the Government of India.
- An Oversight Committee advises and assists the Board.
- SERB has a vision to position science and technology as the fulcrum for social and economic change by supporting competitive, relevant and quality scientific research and development.
- SERB has a mission is to raise the quality and footprint of Indian science and engineering to the highest global levels in an accelerated mode, through calibrated, competitive support of research and development.