In news- A first-of-its-kind research initiative called ‘Fund for Industrial Research Engagement (FIRE)’ has been launched by the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), in collaboration with Intel India.
About FIRE initiative-
- It is a joint government and industry initiative with a co-funding mechanism to promote innovative technology solutions and strengthen academic research through collaboration with key R&D organizations in India.
- It will increase research opportunities in the space of Artificial Intelligence (AI)/Machine Learning (ML), platform systems, circuits & architecture, Internet of Things (IoT), materials & devices, security etc…
- The program intends to select highly impactful research projects in every cycle (typically once or twice a year), which have breakthrough potential at a national or global level.
- It will support the best researchers in academia with funding, mentoring, and industry connect.
- As the next step, the FIRE program will share a Request for Proposal (RFP) and invite the Indian research community to submit research proposals.
Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)-
- SERB is a statutory body of the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India.
- It was created in 2011.
- It is chaired by Secretary, DST, SERB comprises 17 members that includes seven Secretaries to the Government of India.
- SERB has a vision to position science and technology as the fulcrum for social and economic change by supporting competitive, relevant and quality scientific research and development.
It has a mission to raise the quality and footprint of Indian science and engineering to the highest global levels in an accelerated mode