In news–Recently, the Union government has accorded AIMIM chief and Lok Sabha MP Asaduddin Owaisi ‘Z category’ security by commandos of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
Security categories in India
- In India, the government provides security to VVIPs and high-risk individuals.
- Centre takes the call on which VIP should get what kind of security based on threat perceptions.
- Such decisions are taken by a committee consisting of Intelligence Bureau officials, home secretary and the Union Home Minister.
- There are five kinds of security – X, Y, Y Plus, Z and Z Plus.
- The last category is the highest one and is extended to only the most important people in the country.
- A handful of those in the Z Plus category, like current and former Prime Ministers, also get an additional Special Protection Group (SPG) cover.
- The SPG security cover is an exclusive privilege for the Prime Minister.
- The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) are the two forces tasked with providing security to VIPs.
- While ministers get Central security cover due to their position in the government, a call on such security to private individuals is taken by the Home Ministry based on inputs from intelligence agencies.
Details of different securities-
- For those in the X Category, the protectee gets one gunman.
- Protectees in the Y category have one gunman for mobile security, and one (plus four on rotation) for static security.
- Those in the Y-plus category, receive the cover of two gunmen (plus four on rotation) for mobile security, and one (plus four on rotation) for residence security.
More on Z category security-
- The ‘Z category’ is a security detail of 22 personnel, including four to six NSG commandos and police personnel.
- It is provided by the Delhi Police or the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) or CRPF personnel.
- Those protected under the Z category are given five plus vehicles in their convoy, with at least one bullet-proof car.
- People in the Z-plus category get 10 security personnel for mobile security, and two (plus 8) for residence security.
- In addition to Z category security arrangements, protectees under this category get a bulletproof car, escort in three shifts and additional security when required.