In news- With an aim to further improve ease of doing business, Centre launched the Secured Logistics Document Exchange along with a Calculator for GreenHouse Gas Emissions recently.
Initiated by the Logistics Division, Ministry of Commerce
The Logistics Division with the mandate of “Integrated Development of the Logistics Sector” has planned specific digital initiatives with a focus on integrating the various digital systems across ministries/ departments and filling gaps so identified.
In this context key digital initiatives including SLDE platform & Calculator for GHG emissions have been developed.
Secured Logistics Document Exchange(SLDE)
- SLDE is a platform for digital exchange of logistics-related documents.
- Objective: To achieve the targets of improved India’s ranking in Logistics Performance Index; reduction in logistics cost and establishment of indigenous India-specific metrics for continual improvement in logistics.
- The SLDE platform is a solution to replace the present manual process of generation, exchange and compliance of logistics documents with a digitized, secure and seamless document exchange system.
- This will enable generation, storage and interchange of logistics-related documents digitally using Aadhaar and blockchain-based security protocols for data security and authentication.
- It will also provide a complete audit trail of document transfer, faster execution of transactions, lower cost of shipping and overall carbon footprint, easy verification of authenticity of documents, lowered risk of fraud, etc.
- The proof of concept of the platform has been developed and executed with banks (ICICI, Axis Bank, State Bank of India and HDFC Bank) and stakeholders including freight forwarders, exporters, importers and vessel operators.
Calculator for GHG emissions
- Along with the SLDE, Centre also launched a Green House Gas Emission calculator as well.
- It has been launched for choosing sustainable and right mode of transport for freight movement.
- The GHG Calculator is an efficient, user-friendly tool and provides for calculating and comparing GHG emissions across different modes.
- It allows for commodity-wise comparison of GHG emissions and total cost of transportation, including their environmental cost, between movement by road and rail.
- The tool is intended to facilitate appropriate modal choice for all concerned.
Benefits of the initiatives
- The Digital initiative is now set to improve logistics efficiency, reduce logistics cost, and promote multi-modality and sustainability in a big way.
- These digital initiatives have been launched to fill the gap areas where no action has yet been taken either by private players or any of the line ministries.
The Logistics division
The Logistics division in the Department of Commerce was created consequent to the amendment to the second schedule of the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961, on 7th July 2017, that allocated the task of “Integrated development of Logistics sector” to the Department of Commerce. The division is headed by a Special Secretary to Govt of India and has been given the mandate to develop an Action Plan for the integrated development of the logistics sector in the country, by way of policy changes, improvement in existing procedures, identification of bottlenecks and gaps and introduction of technology in this sector.